Sunday, March 28, 2010

Not the worst... but..

So today for breakfast I'm flying semi solo, what I mean by that is , MSue is out of town but Ken and Val were still game, so hey, gotta eat, right? Anyhoo they picked me up at the crack of 8:45 and we were off. About a month ago MSue and I, with some friends attended an auction at Emerald Downs , on the way in I noticed a sign advertising "Best Breakfast in Town" open to the public. Amid the Horse stables that make up the north end of the racing facility and what looks to be security offices was another sign that read "Quarter Chute Cafe" With a sign like that hey, gotta try it out ! Well this is the start of horse racing season up here so there was a lot of action in and around this place, Horse and trainers all very busy, and in the middle of all this a pretty good sized Cafeteria. Yep a Cafeteria, no real table service, normally I wouldn't go for this sort of thing, I'm no snob, but there has not been a lot of happy endings for me after such trips. But we were there and with no other plans "what the heck" We pushed on and in to the line. Ordering is done at the counter, Val was first , she ordered Joes Special,I dont know Joe personnaly but he has food at almost every restaurant I've been in, then it was Kens turn ,Corn Beef hash and eggs for him "todays special at 4.95" Wow! what a bargain! I ordered CFS ,eggs over med. it came with browns and toast , soooo we slide our trays toward the end of the line, grab our beverage, and pay. Well I dont know if it was a good or bad sign that our food arrived almost before we sat down,but it did come quickly, { thats what she said!} almost too fast for my liking . So there we were plastic chairs and all ready to eat. In all fairness this cafeteria is set up for trainers and other horsey types, in another room there was pool tables and what looked to be sort of a bar. Best in Town is a big statement to make and while I did eat all my food and have suffered no ill effects from my experiance, maybe Emerald Downs is the town , but if they wer talkin best in town, meaning Auburn, I would most enfatically disagree! It was ok , the coffee was ok, self serve and all and I only had one cup. I will admit that while the food was not great, we did get to see a lot of the horses and trainers heading out to the track for some excercise ,that was pretty cool, some of those thouroughbreds are awfully big and to see em close up was fun. The Quarter Chute Cafe serves a purpose for those in the business of Horse racing, But as far as a destination stop for breakfast.... not so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment