Sunday, April 10, 2011

Avalon

You know folks? in this day of over indulgence,where eating establishments over fill and over do,where quantity trumps quality,fill em full and let em eat for 3 days after , there lyes a little Cafe in ...Yes once again ,West Seattle, by the name of Avalon. The usual suspects of the FF (Famished Four) were in attendance this AM, Ol Hot T and Smoj ,back from Vacation, met MSue and I at Avalon, roundabout 930, they dont open till 10:00, no worries, had my Coffee and listening to the Beatles on KZOK, and for some reason, the weather on the west end lately seems to be better than in the southend burbs. Avalon is located ( strangely enough) on Avalon Way just off the West Seattle freeway,bout a block up from the Luna Park Cafe, also a stop by the FF. When I was stating about the overfilling of our plates earlier, I was referring to the portions at our cafe de choice this morning. Smoj, still sipping her Latte,passed on the juice, and ordered Crab and Cod cakes Benedict, Two tiny little poachies sitting atop said Seafood cakes and a smattering of Hollandaise , ( homemade and delicious) and a scoop of Homefries, also quite good, not really a huge amount, but plenty for Smoj, although the eggs were a bit over poached I thought , she said she prefers em that way. Ol Hot T , along with hot Tea, ordered the Shortrib Hash and two egg breakfast , a bit more on his plate than Vals, but still not huge. The big chunk style hash had quite a bit of said shortribs which Ol Hot T stated were super tender and Mui delicioso, Topped with 2 eggsters over perfecto, good lookin meal for Ken , shall we say another thumbs up from that side of the table. As for MSue , she decided on the Biscuits and Chorizo Gravy with 2 eggs scrambled well done, all washed down with her usual Ice T w/ lemon(fresh brewed), they also have a mushroom gravy affair, but MSue stayed with the Pork version, and I gotta tell ya ,it was pretty spicy, maybe a bit too spicy for MSue ,but delicious just the same, and probably my choice for a return visit, as I ate a good part of hers,(no leftovers this time honey) I saw one thing on the menu and it locked me in! Duck Ham Benedict, What ? you just dont see duck on many breakfast menus, and I love me some Duck! soo there was really no other choice for Jimbo. This Benny was served on crusty toasted artisan type bread, as opposed to the usual english muffin, the bread also had a olive oil pesto vinagrette, which gave the bread alone a great flavor. The Duck was smoky and mild , quite yummers, along with the same over done poacharinas as appeared atop Vals BFast, although I prefer em runny and goopy, the The top sauce although delicious, was sparse, I coulda used a bit more, the very same scoop of Homers playin wingman on my plate completed my meal for the day. A few minor adjustments and my meal would have been perfect, as the coffee served at the Avalon is "Cafe Vietto"( I believe) and brewed perfectly. Yep Yep West Seattle seems to have it goin on as far as breakfast gos, we keep findin gems amid the bumpy streets on the West side!

No comments:

Post a Comment